The Melbourne Cup is known as “the race that stops the nation”.
The Emirates Melbourne Cup is Australia’s most famous race, and has a total prize money over $6,000,000. It is the richest race on the Australasian Racing Calendar.
The Melbourne Cup thoroughbred race is a quality handicap at Flemington Racecourse for horses 3 years old and over. The thoroughbred race is run over a distance of 3,200 metres, and always is held on the first Tuesday in November.
Some facts about the Melbourne Cup
- The most wins by a horse was Makybe Diva with 3 wins (2003, 2004, 2005).
- There have been 6 grey horses who have won the Melbourne Cup.
- The record winning time is 3.16.30 by Kingston Rule (1990).
- The biggest winning margin was 8 lengths by Archer (1862) and Rain Lover (1968).
- The most wins by a trainer is 12 – Bart Cummings (1965, 1966, 1967, 1974, 1975, 1977, 1979, 1990, 1991, 1996, 1999, 2008)
- The heaviest weight carried by winner was Carbine (1890) with 10 stone 5 pounds (66 kg).
- The heaviest weight carried of all time was Par Lap (1931) with 10 stone 10 pounds (73.5 kg), where he ran 8th.
- The most runners was 39 (1890) and the fewest runners was 7 (1863).
- No horse has ever won from barrier 18.
Last 5 winners of the Melbourne Cup
|2013||Fiorante||5 h||Damien Oliver||Gai Waterhouse||Andrew Roberts and 39 others||3.20.30||24|
|2012||Green Moon||6 h||Brett Prebble||Robert Hickmott||Lloyd Williams||3.20.45||24|
|2011||Dunaden||6 h||Christophe Lemaire||Mikel Delzangles||Pearl Bloodstock Pty (Mgr. R Levitt)||3.20.84||23|
|2010||Americain||6 h||Gérald Mossé||Alain de Royer-Dupre||Gerry Ryan, K. C Bamford||3.26.87||23|
|2009||Shocking||4 h||Corey Brown||Mark Kavanagh||Eales Racing Pty Ltd||3.23.87||23|
- View all Melbourne Cup results